Wednesday, June 17, 2009

True Followers

I would venture to guess that more people ‘believe’ in God, then actually follow Him. When stopping the average person on a street corner and asking if them if they believe in God. I think, most would probably shrug and say, “Sure”. This would give one the impression that to them, God is just a ‘matter of fact’. That they go and visit God all the time, ask questions, and just ‘hang out’ with Him on a daily basis. Geez, that would be nice if it were only true. However; every once in a while, you will run across a ‘true’ follower of Jesus Christ. The difference between the ‘ casual believer’ and the ‘true follower’ of Christ is astounding to me.

Being a ‘casual believer’ is kind of like being a window shopper. You have nothing to offer to the clerk inside the store. The window shopper may admire the items in the store and wish they owned such things themselves. But still, the window shopper refuses to go into the store and take part in the actual experience, I might say...life changing experience, of investing in the items located within the store. To be a ‘true follower’ of Jesus Christ, is to stop window shopping and boldly enter the store to make a purchase. Only then can the ‘clerk’ help you to achieve your goals.

As you can see, being a window shopper and being a customer are two different things. It is the same with being a casual believer of Jesus Christ as compared to being a true follower of Jesus Christ.

As I stated before, I am a new believer of Jesus Christ, but I am trying to become a true follower of Jesus Christ. This has not been and still is not an easy journey for me. Sure, I do the basics. I pray, I attend services, and I do actually read the Bible. I have already found out there is so much more to it than that. For example, the difference between just reading a book and actually studying a book. I guess all I can say at this point is that I am trying my best to follow God’s word. When I study the Bible, I don’t understand everything I read. Thankfully, our God is a Loving and Forgiving God. I think He understands that I am truly a ‘work in progress’. I know that He will continue to work with me as long as I keep putting forth the effort. So, at long last, the ‘window shopper’ has come in from the cold and......into the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment